Lorraine Brichta Aguilar, Class of 1949
Lorraine grew up in a home across from St. Augustine Cathedral; and has supported the cathedral devotedly during her life. She has been active in the Mexican-American community and given her talents to that community as well as to her wonderful family. She is the great granddaughter of Augustus Brichta, the first teacher in Tucson in 1869.
Serving her community, she has given many hours as an active member or board representative to the following organizations:
• Miles and Sam Hughes PTA
• Volunteered at Mansfeld, Rincon, and Tucson High School
• Educational Enrichment Foundation, early board member. The Foundation serves 52,000 TUSD students annually through its grants, scholarships, and professional development programs.
• La Leche League
• El Nacimiento of Tucson for more than three decades. Lorraine opened her home for viewing the many crèche sets that belong to her as well as serving on the committee
• Representative in the TUSD desegregation program that was completed after 38 years
• The Miles Neighborhood Association
• Meals on Wheels of Tucson, a program that delivers prepared meals in order to preserve the health, dignity and independence of homebound adults. This was a favorite volunteer project in which she served for 11 years
• St. Elizabeth of Hungary board member
• President of the board for Family Counseling Agency in 1989
• Served on the Class of ’49 reunion committee for many years
• Served as a founding board member and treasurer of the Tucson High Badger Foundation for over 10 years
Written in a school essay by her granddaughter, “My grandmother is a very loving, caring, and popular woman. She is always involved in something and no matter where we are, she knows someone or someone recognizes her. Many people admire her and wish they could be as fortunate as her. There are always a lot of people waiting to hug, kiss, or talk to my grandma. We tell her she is a peacock, always ruffling feathers when she is out and about. Lorraine Brichta Aguilar is such a special lady and I am lucky to have a grandmother like her.”